This salad is one of my favorites and packs a punch in complex vitamins and nutrients. The taste is zesty and texture awesome, but the thing that really does it for me is the grana padana cheese and almonds -those two ingredients send this perfect salad over the top.
Kale is a super food, rich in Vitamin A, C & K. It’s also known for lowering cholesterol and is rich in calcium.
“Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K — and sulphur-containing phytonutrients,” says Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD WebMD Expert Column.
The recipe is so simple and quick to do. I hope you love it as much as we do!
• 1 large bunch curly kale (I have found that the organic varieties are more “frilly”)
• ½ cup sliced or slivered almonds
• 1 cup shredded grana padana cheese
• Lemon Vinaigrette:
• 1 shallot, minced
• 4 tablespoons lemon juice (meyer’s is my recent obsession).
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Optional Ingredients that my daughter must have:
• 2 large red vine tomatos cut into large 1/4’s
• 6-10 baby carrots sliced at an 1/8″ angle
Chop the kale, avoiding the stems and add to a large bowl along with the slivered almonds.
In a small bowl, combine the minced shallots and the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Toss the kale and almonds with the dressing, coating all of the kale. Then add the cheese and gently toss to evenly distribute the kale.
Garnish with fresh lemon zest.
Serve in the bowl, or turn out onto a serving platter.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2